The Phoenicia Story
The Hotel Phoenicia, in Valletta was built in 1939 by Lord and Lady Strickland and designed by Architect A.M.B. Binnie. The aim of the project was to build Malta’s premier luxury hotel just outside Valletta’s Porta Reale.
When the Second World War broke out, the Valletta hotel was not officially opened but was taken over by the services and used by R.A.F personnel during their days off. The left wing of the hotel (by the Pegasus Brasserie) was hit by bombs and was re-built soon after the war.
The Hotel Phoenicia was officially opened in 1947 by Lady Margaret Strickland, His Grace Michael Gonzi, Archbishop of Malta, Lord Francis Campell, then Sir Francis, Governor of Malta, to provide a cosmopolitan clientele with a standard of comfort and service equalling that of the highest grade hotels in any European capital.
A brief history to Hotel Phoenicia