Malta, the stunning Mediterranean archipelago, is a destination that delights visitors year-round. While summer’s golden beaches and vibrant festivals are undoubtedly enticing, Malta is equally attractive in the cooler months. Autumn in Malta has its own unique charm that beckons travellers with milder weather, fewer crowds, and an array of exciting events. Here are some compelling reasons why you should consider a holiday to Malta in autumn.
Perfect Weather for Exploring
Malta enjoys a mild and pleasant climate throughout the year, and autumn is no exception. With temperatures ranging from 20 to 28 degrees, you can explore the island comfortably without the scorching heat of summer. The Mediterranean waters remain warm, making it ideal for swimming, snorkelling, or simply basking in the sun with the waves lapping at your feet.
Ideal for City Breaks
Malta may be small in size, but it’s rich in history, culture, and architecture. Autumn is the perfect time for a city break in Malta to explore the ancient capital city of Valletta, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. You can wander through the city’s narrow streets, visit historic landmarks like St. John’s Co-Cathedral, and indulge in the local cuisine at charming cafes and restaurants. With the Phoenicia Malta located a few steps away from Valletta’s City Gate, you will be in the best place to experience a delightful city break in Malta.
Fascinating Festivals and Events
One of the most compelling reasons to visit Malta in autumn is the plethora of unique events that take place during this season. The island comes alive with various celebrations, showcasing its rich heritage and cultural diversity.
Here are some of the main events to look forward to in Autumn:
- Notte Bianca: Held in early October, this all-night arts and culture festival transforms Valletta into a vibrant hub of music, art, and performances. It’s a magical experience that lets you see the city in a whole new light.
- Birgufest: In Birgu (also known as Vittoriosa), you can witness the historic city light up during Birgufest. Held in mid-October, this festival offers visitors a unique opportunity to explore the city’s centuries-old streets and enjoy live music, art exhibitions, and local cuisine.
- Festival Mediterranea: This festival, running from late October to early December, celebrates Malta’s rich history and culture with a series of events, including theatrical performances, lectures, and music. It provides an in-depth look into the island’s heritage.
- Halloween: Like everywhere else, Halloween has become quite popular in Malta now with various events taking place around the island.
- Armistice Day: On November 11th, Malta commemorates Armistice Day with ceremonies and parades honouring those who served during the two World Wars. This is a solemn and moving event that adds a touch of history to your visit.
Half Term Holidays
If you’re planning a family getaway, Malta in autumn is an excellent choice for a half-term holiday. With the pleasant weather, rich history, and family-friendly activities, Malta offers a unique blend of history and entertainment for you to enjoy. Your children can explore historical sites, enjoy water sports, and take part in cultural events, ensuring a memorable and enriching half term holiday this autumn.
Where to Stay
Just a stone’s throw from Valletta’s iconic City Gate, the Phoenicia Malta stands as a venerable testament to the island’s rich history. This distinguished establishment, one of the oldest hotels in Malta, seamlessly marries tradition with contemporary comfort, offering a truly unique experience.
The hotel’s dining options are equally exceptional, ranging from the majestic art deco ambiance of the Phoenix Restaurant to the Pool Bar, where panoramic views of the picturesque harbour unfold before you. Beyond these culinary delights, the Phoenicia Malta pampers its guests with a wealth of 5-star amenities, including a newly refurbished Spa and Wellness centre, and lush gardens that are hard to come by anywhere else on the island.
For those seeking the perfect escape for a city break in Malta, the Phoenicia Malta emerges as the quintessential choice, embodying the essence of luxury and history amidst the vibrant heart of Malta.