This vacancy is no longer available. Kindly have a look at our Careers Page to view our current openings.
We invite you to become part of The Phoenicia Story
Work at The Phoenicia Malta
Why? Besides, being a historical 5-star gem, a cherished national treasure, and beloved local landmark, The Phoenicia Malta has been attracting stars, socialites and the crowned heads of Europe for over 60 years. All our guests and employees alike, are our very own ‘stars’, our pride and joy.
A career promise for the stars of the industry (past, present and future).
Our commitment to work is the fruit of a unique collaboration, and a truly professional philosophy. We are all about giving a beautiful part of ourselves in each aspect of our thriving hotel operations. We promise you, that it will be a seriously enriching growth experience. A career you will always be proud of. Discover more, today.
Personality & Role Profile
You are an energetic and charismatic person thriving to provide a superb level of service to all your guests. As a Sous Chef you will ensure the food production team provides a consistent quality of food & beverage in the area/shift under his/her control. Additionally, the Sous Chef must assist the Executive & Head Chef with the operation, production and preparation within the kitchens ensuring that all food produced is served in a timely manner whilst implementing and maintaining all company standards, policies and procedures relating to food quality specifications, preparation, storage and for all health and Food Safety areas.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Ensure all staff report for duty punctually in full uniform, paying attention to personal hygiene, grooming and adhering to hotel polices on Due Diligence and Health & Safety
- Assist Executive Chef / Executive Sous Chef in all chef training and development
- Ensure all junior chefs are correctly prepared and ready for “Service”
- Ensure clean and hygienic state in all kitchen areas throughout the day
- Ensure that all food preparation, storage areas, equipment and machinery are maintained in a clean state and in good repair
- Ensure proper labelling and dates on food stocks, and are stored in legal, hygienic conditions
- Delegates and assigns duties and responsibilities to subordinates as required for developmental purposes
- Control food cost throughout the various departments of responsibility, keeping close control of agreed costing of approved recipes
Desirable Experience, Qualifications, & Attributes
- Preferably 2 to 3 years experiences in a similar position
- Hotel School / High School Diploma or equivalent
- Previous International 5 Star Experience, Michelin Star, AA rosette or similar Classic European training is considered an asset
- The desire to train and mentor junior team members
- Be passionate about food and the dishes that you produce
- Ability to work well under pressure in a fast-paced environment
Are you the one we are looking for?
The Phoenicia Malta offers a safe haven to connect to people, and embrace inspiring stories. We have been delivering exceptional service to guests from all over the world. Our ultimate goal is to be the most amazing place to stay in the Mediterranean, while offering you the chance to be very much, an integral part of ‘the family’. Our hotel is a proud member of The Leading Hotels of the World. And we want you to be part of it.