We invite you to become part of The Phoenicia Story
Work at The Phoenicia Malta
Why? Besides, being a historical 5-star gem, a cherished national treasure, and beloved local landmark, The Phoenicia Malta has been attracting stars, socialites and the crowned heads of Europe for over 60 years. All our guests and employees alike, are our very own ‘stars’, our pride and joy.
A career promise for the stars of the industry (past, present and future).
Our commitment to work is the fruit of a unique collaboration, and a truly professional philosophy. We are all about giving a beautiful part of ourselves in each aspect of our thriving hotel operations. We promise you, that it will be a seriously enriching growth experience. A career you will always be proud of. Discover more, today.
Personality & Role Profile
You are an energetic and charismatic person thriving to provide a superb level of service to all your guests. You will take charge of wine service within our restaurants in order to deliver an unforgettable experience for our guests.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- To have appropriate product knowledge and effectively communicate with customers
- To have food knowledge to the standard of a Wine Waiter
- To provide guidance and supervision to the commis / demi sommeliers
- To work in close liaison with the floor team to ensure that the service runs smoothly and that all guest requirements are met
- To promote sales and build up rapport with regular customers
- To ensure that all liquor stock levels are maintained and correct ordering procedures are carried out, and wine list is maintained with a wide range of high quality wines
- To ensure the correct preparation of the restaurant for service, with particular regard to the placement of glasses and the preparation of relevant equipment
- To ensure that all relevant equipment such as glasses, glass washers, silverware and decanters are maintained in clean, good working order
- To taste and critically evaluate wines, with an eye for possible additions to the wine list
- To brief floor team on updates to the wine list (such as absences and vintage changes), and wines by the glass
Desirable Experience, Qualifications, & Attributes
- Proven previous work experience in a 5 Star environment.
- Extensive knowledge of wines and food pairing.
- Sales oriented and able to work under pressure.
- Excellent guest service skills and attention to detail.
- Flexibility to work in shifts.
- Positive, engaging personality and professional appearance.
- Very good knowledge of spoken and written English.
- Hands-on experience with cash and ideally with Micros Simphony point of sale
- Holds a local Food Handling License in accordance with the Food Safety Commission of Malta
The Phoenicia Malta offers a safe haven to connect to people, and embrace inspiring stories. We have been delivering exceptional service to guests from all over the world. Our ultimate goal is to be the most amazing place to stay in the Mediterranean, while offering you the chance to be very much, an integral part of ‘the family’. Our hotel is a proud member of The Leading Hotels of the World. And we want you to be part of it.